Friday, November 20, 2020

The builder arrives ?


Sophie is up the ramp at first light. Exactly a year ago the ramp was bought to stop Angus having 'twinges' lifting our titanium kneed companion up into the back of the car. Sophie weighs 22 kilos. The ramp 10. Lifting her up was easy. Getting the ramp out and then stowing it away again is  so much more complicated. Sophie, being a diva, has taken to the ramp like Naomi Campbell to the catwalk.


The builder is due any moment to start laying the stones for the new pergola. He has texted to say he'll be here by eight. Things must be very slow for him to volunteer his  movements and plans.  Sophie and her master have just enough time to squeeze in a quick drive down to the waterfall for a drink, some inept minnow fishing and a chance to look at the clouds of dragonflies. It's 13 degrees this morning. Tomorrow its forecast to fall to 5 degrees . Winter is fast approaching and with it the dragonflies last cavorting of the season.

6 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Thank goodness the princess mastered the ramp. Love the photos.

WFT Nobby said...

The opening paragraphs of the biology article exactly reflect my experience of school biology. How did they manage to make such an interesting subject so boring? By prioritising learning the names of different parts of a locust, rather than talking about the exciting ideas behind evolution, genetics and ecology. So I gave up the subject as soon as I could. The doctorate I obtained as a very mature student is officially a Biological Science PhD, and I often wonder if I am the only (English) person out there with such a qualification who did not even take 'O' or 'A' level biology!
By the way, we haven't heard anything about Angus's 'twinges' lately. I hope that means they have subsided.
Cheers, Gail.


Lisa in France said...

Funny about the ramp, but good news if the twinges are no longer an issue. I also thought the biology article captured a real problem with how this subject is taught. My daughter took biology last semester and my husband, who worked with her, came away perplexed and frustrated, as it seemed to him just a collection of terms to be memorized with no "big picture" underpinning. (I also hated it in high school but that was more because I didn't want to dissect the frog.) I also enjoyed the conspiracy article - this is certainly something I have been giving thought to recently, especially today! And I loved the modern bagpipe music. My high school had an all-girl pipe band and I actually took lessons for a year or so, but it's a very difficult instrument and, at 16 or so, I also had difficulty reconciling myself to the way I looked with my cheeks all puffed out. Perhaps if I had stuck with just the chanter . . .

Coppa's girl said...

Tomorrow will we be treated to a peek at the first of the newly laid stones?

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Happy to be in the WEIRD group. Hope that ramp doesn't bring on more twinges.

Fay said...

Unusual bagpipe music—thank you! I hope the builder shows up....that seems as though it is a universal problem.....