Monday, November 9, 2020

Running late.

The builder phones on Sunday afternoon. ' Alright if I start work on the pergola tomorrow morning ? We'll be there around eight'. Miracles do happen. Angus looks on the bright side rather than observe that the work is running ten months late.

In its seven am breakfast bulletin  French breakfast radio has a segment on how chaotic the American election has been. Angus wonders if another take on it might be that holding an election, mid-pandemic, with the highest turn out ever shows the system actually works . There again why let anything stand in the way of some good old start of the week Anglo-Saxon bashing ?


No Armistice ceremony in the village this year. The first time since 1944 it's been cancelled. Instead the old and new mayors each lay a pot of chrysanthemums on the war memorial steps. The old mayor chooses orange. The new mayor pink.  I'm walking Sophie as they lay their plants. I expect one or other to say something but they simply place the pots on the top step and then go their separate ways.


It is one of those days from heaven. Bright, dry and balmy. A day that belongs in June rather than November. The donkeys in the field by the storm drain are enjoying themselves.  They look up briefly as we pass but make no attempt to wander over to see us. Sophie finds a drainage ditch to drink from. She offers to give my ear a lick but I decline. So starts a Monday morning in a French village of 67 souls and a Polish Lowland Sheepdog.


Something very medieval about the simplicity of this :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LrH0AS5Hw

This would scare me away :https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20201105/p2a/00m/0na/018000c



6 comments:

Lisa in France said...

The explanation that the monster wolf was placed in order to "avoid friction between residents and bears" has a very Japanese feel to it. I agree with you about the US election. Watching it all unfold in slow motion over the past few days has provided an excellent lesson in American civics for my husband, and I have been moved by all the hard work and diligence of the election workers. It's not really so different from when my father took me into the ballot box at our local school cafeteria when I was a kid, and it still works pretty well. I am also moved by the hard work and diligence of the Queen.

WFT Nobby said...

I found the video of the Queen at Westminster Abbey deeply moving, the more so for its stark simplicity. What a remarkable woman.

potty said...

Will your Mayors do more pots on the 11th? I would surely miss the beautiful wreaths that are so emblamatic of France on the memorials.

Teena and Lala said...

The church in our new village was closed yesterday. Instead, everyone turned out in their Sunday best and congregated in the churchyard to allow John, our eldest village member to lay a wreath as he has always done for the last 40 or so years. It was a simple, poignant and gentle affair and Stuart and I felt honoured to have been included.

Angus said...

Borders traditions are robust !

Maudie said...

I couldn't agree with you more about the election. The meticulous slow count was necessary and not a sign of chaos. A lesson in patience for all of us but one which showed that the democratic system here rests with the people and survived the strains placed upon it in the past few years.