Sunday, December 26, 2021

Boxing Day


One of six 'prawns in choux pastry' mysteriously disappears from a plate on the coffee table.  There is circumstantial evidence that points to Sophie's guilt . 

The electronic system that controls the church bells has had some sort of festive meltdown. The bells have taken to chiming nine times, then four, then seven times in quick succession. They do this on the hour every hour.

Late on Christmas Eve a motor home arrives and parks outside the church. It has '16' registration plates. On our morning walk we meet a lady in an orange dressing gown and pink pom-pom slippers heading over to the wash room in the village hall. Despite her state of dress the woman is extremely talkative .She and her husband have driven from Angouleme.  Their family are all self isolating so they decided to get in their camper wagon and head south. They ended up here. At lunchtime I find them at the village hall  picnic table enjoying their Christmas Capon as if this was the most natural thing in the world to do.

Late afternoon . The Old Farmer shows up at the gate. I ask him if everything's ok. 'No !' comes the reply. He had set off at ten in the morning to spend Christmas with his lady friend. When he got there the house was quiet and the curtains closed. He let himself in and found her in bed. She'd had a massive coronary during the night. He has spent Christmas day at the hospital and then at the mortuary. He buries his head in my shoulder . We stand like this in the middle of the lane and he weeps . This morning , when he surfaces, I shall find out what needs to be done regarding the funeral and all those other 'arrangements' that become doubly complicated during a pandemic. This has been a big shock for him.


This morning Sophie and her companion have a long clear the mind walk across country. 


Then it's down to the bakers for some breakfast croissants. From the Buche de Noel in the display cabinet I'm guessing the baker prepared for a last minute rush which didn't happen.


Low key. Piano and voice and saxophone :https://youtu.be/iM_Y_chz1pI?list=PL1nLVw6M_fPhmepFiAk9ULTPuHkwHJreN&t=4317



19 comments:

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

I am so sorry to read of the Old Farmers loss. Time is just so cruel.

WFT Nobby said...

My heart goes out to the Old Farmer.

Virginia said...

Oh No! I am so sad for the Old Farmer. What a shock for him. Will there be support for him from the local community? the church? I would think this will knock him very badly.

Liz Hamblyn said...

Please express our sympathy and condolences from the other side of the world. I know what it is like to lose love ones at this time of the year. I agree with Virginia, this will effect the Old Farmer in many ways that might be not be evident at first. Kia Kaha (stay st
rong)

Lisa in France said...

This is very sad on so many levels - that it happened, that it happened on Christmas, that he had to be the one to find her. We all know from your posts that your neighbor is a very resilient man, and I hope that he will somehow get through this as well.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the Old Farmer's Lady Friend and that he was the one to find her. I hope she has children that will come and take the burden of organising her funeral. The poor old man. I hope he can find comfort somehow.

Coppa's girl said...

Deepest condolences to the Old Farmer and his lady friend's family. Such a sad thing to happen at any time, but so much worse at Christmas, usually a joyous time of year. May happy memories bring him comfort. He is so lucky to have you as a neighbour Angus, as support and a compassionate shoulder to lean on.
On a cheerier note - only one prawns in choux pastry missing? Inca feels Sophie wasn't really trying, unless she was almost caught in the act.

Travel said...

How sad for your neighbor, thank you for helping in anyway you can.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh my word... I add my condolences for TOF via Angus... bless you for being the neighbour you are. YAM xx

Maudie said...

Sending my deepest condolences to the Old Farmer.

sillygirl said...

Please tell the Old Farmer that many people have him in their thoughts.

Fay said...

What shocking and sad news. I am glad you (and the community, I hope and expect) are there to support him, after such a blow.

Taste of France said...

Sending so much love to the Old Farmer.

Charlotte said...

I feel for him. We lost our daughter five years ago on the first day of December. Just lost our son three months ago. I am sure he has felt lost also. It is never easy, is it? I am praying for him and her family. Angus so glad he are there for him 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻💧

cingee@syix.com said...

I am so sorry for your old neighbor. Reading of you and your friends and neighbors and , of course, Sophie... have made you all seem like family to me. Best wishes to you, and my condolences to your old neighbor

Cheryl Pass said...

Such a cruel tragedy for the Old Farmer..very sorry to hear it. Condolence for him and glad you are there to comfort and help him. Oh dear…

Poppy Q said...

Sorry to hear the sad news about the Old Farmers lady friend. It is kind of you to help him.

Pam in NH said...

At least you and the Font are there for TOF to turn to. Life is hard, dear friends are scarce.

Sheila said...

I was saddened to learn of the Old Farmer's lady friend's passing. It is never easy. I am also grateful you and the Font are there to check on him and to visit. I hope you and the Font were able to spend Christmas Day just how you pleased. Happy Holidays