Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Pre-Christmas Wednesday morning.


This morning Angus is up and about before the family diva and is the first one down the stairs. It's my turn to tell Sophie it's time to head off for our tour of the village. She stands of the half landing and gives me a ' What's got into you ?' look.

We set off along the lane, turn right down the hill , pick up speed as we pass the horses and then amble back up to The Rickety Old Farmhouse. En route we take in the stream and the waterfall. Ten minutes are spent, ineptly, fishing for minnows. On her return my shaggy companion opts for a restorative napette , in the still rising sun, by the front door. When Sophie opts for a napette she throws her heart and soul into it.

Tomorrow we shall collect the small turkey we've ordered from the farmer at the crossroads and then on Friday the Buche de Noel from the fancy bakers. To avoid any confusion after last years cultural misunderstanding 'The Font' has told the turkey farmer we'd like the bird plucked and ready for the oven rather than alive. That will be the sum of our Covid era Christmas preparations.
 

Back to Manhattan for Advent song # 24 . I'm surprised the church is this full even though everyone appears to be masked : https://youtu.be/nDCKF9BE62U?t=3714

Maybe when things are back to normal(ish) we might pop down here for a few days. It's only an hour from Toulouse by air :https://www.l-hotelmarrakech.com/

Can hospitals combine function and beauty ? :https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/12/422011/ucsf-releases-latest-designs-new-hospital-parnassus-heights

10 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

A couple of days ago some very good friends rather amused me by issuing me a last minute invitation to dinner on Christmas Day on the basis that the 'small' turkey they'd ordered has turned into a generously medium sized one.(They were too late as the plan here is for Bertie, our wee poodle guest Ella and me to join friends M&J for a Christmas Day picnic and walk in Glen Tanar. But I've offered the dogs' services in helping with the leftovers on Boxing Day!)
Today's Advent Carol has me wondering if kids still sing "While shepherd's washed their socks by night..."?
Cheers, Gail.

Coppa's girl said...

Hope the minnows weren't expecting a pre-Christmas lie-in? Sophie has obviously seen to it that they were disappointed!
We shall wait for the streets to be aired before we venture far today.

Angus said...

I would doubt if most kids ever hear carols let alone sing 'alternative' versions of them but that may reflect the fact I've turned into my father

Angus said...

Sophie is now spending her day maintaining close bodily contact with The Font who is making the stuffing for the turkey.

Travel said...

A wise instruction to the farmer, both of my grandmothers would have been unfazed by a live bird. A nap sounds wonderful, but there is work to do.

Maudie said...

Wishing you, the Font and Sophie a Joyous Noel!

Fay said...

I must say that when my husband was a very small boy, it took a priest listening carefully to him to determine that my husband's prayer began "Hell Mary full of grease...."

Fay said...

A Joyeux Noel to all 67 residents of the village whose comings and goings I so enjoy. Merci infiniment for the Advent music. And a Bone Noel to Sophie.

Anonymous said...

Guessing from the hospital link the CC's are on call this weekend ?

Stephanie said...

A lovely first picture of Sophie and the beautiful wreaths I have always admired. I've enjoyed all the pictures of the festive-looking ROF; it may just be the two of you but perhaps all the more reason to enjoy the beauty of the season especially (to use an over-worked phrase) "in times like these."