Friday, July 24, 2015

An interruption.


The Dell computer gives up the ghost. The delightful young lady at the help desk tries to sort it out but after forty five minutes of telling me which buttons to press finally says its clinically dead. ' It is four years old ' she says in a tone of voice that makes it quite clear that spare parts are no longer produced.

It is impossible to order a replacement with an English keyboard. For delivery to a French address a QWERTY keyboard is 'out of policy'. People, apparently, really do speak like that. There is no arguing with 'out of policy'.


Until a replacement can be sourced blog posts over the next few days may be less regular than usual. 


Bob and Sophie are in fine form. These are days for dozing, playing savage your brother and generally chilling out.

Tonight there is a 'Cinema in the Open Air' showing of a classic French comedy on the plastered wall of the Salle des Fetes. The mayor and The Old Farmer have strung a web of power cables across the car park to the projector mounted on the cemetery wall. It is also International Week of the Horse borne Pilgrim. This explains why there are horses everywhere. 'The Font' says thousands. Angus would settle for hundreds. Whatever the number you have to be careful where you walk. Very careful.


Normal service will be resumed asap. After dinner the PONs have some coconut ice cream to cool them down. Life is good.

17 comments:

Coppa's girl said...

All those horses......good for the roses.

Anonymous said...

Will miss your blogs terribly , but enjoy getting a new computer. (If that's even possible?!?) My husband recently replaced his Dell with a Samsung that he's delighted with. (I still love my Mac)

Hugs and barks to all
Yogi & Mom

Julie said...

Leah has discovered the joys of coconut yoghurt frozen to make ice cubes, she would like to send big thanks to the PONs for giving us the idea

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I shall imagine you all relaxing in the sunshine, eating coconut ice cream amongst the butterflies and sunflowers.
xoxo

The Life of Riley said...

A possible solution to your QWERTY and "out of policy" issues can be found here...
http://www.americancommunityinfrance.com/buying-a-qwerty-computer-in-france/

In the meantime, Bob and Sophie will love the extra attention and time you give them while away taking and unexpected break from your computer!

The Life of Riley said...

I meant to type "while taking an unexpected break" - I have user problems with my HP keyboard :)

BaileyBobSouthernDog said...

Oh noooooooo ! What will I read to Bailey Bob first thing in the mornings? Am I the only selfish one out there? I am trying to be adult about this, but it is not working !!!! Do your computer people not know this is urgent? Well; well... I swan.

WFT Nobby said...

When I visit my friend in the USA next month I will have a word with her brother - he is Director (or is it VP?) of Sustainability at Dell…
Cheers, Gail (who converted to a MacBook c. six years ago and has never looked back).

Craig said...

Angus - we replaced our old Dell with a new Dell XPS 27 all in one (which also has a DVD drive built into the monitor). The display is wonderful and it's an excellent machine. It's great not to have the old box taking up space on the floor. I bought it from these people on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-XPS-One-2720-27-All-In-One-PC-i7-4770S-16GB-GT-750M-2TB-Touchscreen-SSD-/171707427349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fa8f6a15
They ship to France for £20 and of course it includes a wireless Qwerty keyboard.
I recommend it highly. Good luck.

VirginiaC said...

I may be one of your selfish blog friends....hope you get back a laptop soon....not sure how I'm going to survive without Bob and Sophie to cheer my day.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I realized after my 10+ year old Dell "gave it up" that I was in a minority and pretty lucky it had lasted so long. I hope you find a replacement soon and normal (online) life resumes in deepest France Profonde!

Sheila said...

My HP laptop is on its last legs, but I'm determined to hold out
until Windows 10 is released, which is supposed to be July 29,
before buying a new one.

BaileyBobSouthernDog said...

During this interruption, perhaps each of us could recount a favorite Bob and Sophie Adventure. Being some what new to their blog, I would love to hear about some of their adventures from all of you since their puppyhood! I know Sophie is a diva, but what were some of her first signs as a puppy? Also I would like to hear about Bob and his bucket of fish story.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

You may have to be careful where the PONs roll, as well.

MrsDuncanMahogany said...

Coconut ice cream sounds perfect. Our weekends at the polo field render us also very careful where we walk. Very careful.

Anonymous said...

ANGUS is kind enough to have ALL of the past entries available for your enjoyment. Just take a look at the BLOG ARCHIVE at the top right
of the page. There is enough there to give you an entire summer filled with PON enjoyment. Just to give you a peek…….SOPHIE as a puppy was shy and cohered behind her brother. BOB "borrowed" the fish that a local fisherman had spent a lot of time catching, and was
kind enough to have collected in a bucket ready for BOB to enjoy. And so it goes……..enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Oops! Typo! Should have written that SOPHIE "cowered" behind her brother (not "cohered").