Saturday, December 21, 2019

Reindeer.


'The Font' heads off to the local dog sanctuary with a collection of blankets, sheets, towels, 'treats' and a cheque. The cheque is how much we've saved by eating at home since Angus has been recuperating. Angus is rather surprised to see the total. ' It includes wine ' I'm told. The staff at the sanctuary are happy.


While 'The Font' is away a group of whistling workmen arrive and assemble three DIY reindeer on the village green. Some of the the trees that have been blown down in the recent gales are being recycled as seasonal art installations. Municipal good cheer.


The reindeer have  a certain minimalist chic.


At the end of a long day Sophie decides that the sensible thing to do is switch off. Sophie knows how to turn 'switching off ' into an art form.



From Bloomington Indiana a thing of rare beauty. Christmas song 18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ5wmFi9sfA


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should get a twinning arrangement going between your municipal workmen and distillery workers here. Speyside at Christmas sports many home-made reindeer, crafted from whisky cask staves. They have the same minimalist chic look.
Linda (occasionalscotland)

Poppy Q said...

I wish I could snooze on the floor of the library like that Miss Sophie. A perfect spot for a nap.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Angus. Was singing this carol only the other day, out loud and a capella in my kitchen. You would NOT have picked my version to play. This was sublime... and made me want to melt to the floor, a la Mlle Sophie.
I rather adore the reindeer! YAM xx

Maudie said...

Beautiful carol!

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

I very much like the idea of whistling workmen, elves in disguise, assembling reindeer from the trees lost to the storm. I also like the idea (which may or may not have happened) of The Font arriving home from her visit to the dog sanctuary, discovering the community art installation!

Coppa's girl said...

I hope that it doesn't sound mean, but I no longer send Christmas cards - it got to be too much of a chore. These days I give the money that I would have spent to the local dog rescue, and a local charity. For me it seems a much more sensible way, than knowing cards are going for recycling, or up in smoke, at the end of the festive season.
The reindeer have a certain cute charm!

Taste of France said...

The moss is a brilliant addition to the woodland reindeer get-up. I really wish I (or you) had overheard the conversations leading up to this spontaneous art installation.