Sunday, May 15, 2022

Shrivelled


It was the Eurovision song contest last night. Not something we usually watch. Ukraines entry won. It got 431 out of a possible 468 votes . The lads who sang it said they would be back on the front line on Monday. Those aren't words you hear in the usual winners speech.

Sophie has learnt a lesson. It's best not to let Angus out of her sight in case he 'wanders'. This morning the family diva follows me round the house as if she's attached to my ankles.

It's already 20 degrees when the strawberry lady drops off four punnets of Gariguettes at the gate. This, she informs me, is the hottest year since 2003. That year her crop shrivelled in the heat. Now she's praying for rain. So too are all the local farmers who have sown wheat to benefit from the high prices caused by the war in Ukraine.


Too hot for the family diva to join us on the trip to the bakers. As soon as the mercury hits twenty she is confined to the cool of The Rickety Old Farmhouse. Curly croissant ends are saved as a treat for her. 'The Font' scores the croissant an 8/10. Angus agrees.


The Font' is heading to the far North on Tuesday. We stop off at the frozen food store to make sure there is an ample variety of sweet things for Angus to graze on. 'The Font' looks at fruit tarts.


Angus is much more taken with the remnants of the 'Hello America' month. Why choose fresh fruit when you can have a 'Generous cookie, Brownie and Marshmallow Cake' ? An Opera and a Rhubarb Tart are chosen.


This thread  on the peculiarity of American suburbs (on Redditt)  was surprisngly interesting :https://www.reddit.com/r/urbanplanning/comments/umv2ib/i_just_watched_this_video_from_not_just_bikes_on/






6 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

I'm guessing that quite a few of us who never normally watch Eurovision did so last night. Quite an experience!

Lisa in France said...

It was kind of you to trim Sophie's bangs so that she can more easily follow your movements. The thread on suburbs was indeed interesting and reminded me of many things. I grew up in a suburban house my parents bought when I was two, a big move out of the city. As a child, I loved building forts in the woods behind the house, playing ball in the street, sleighriding, etc. My cat would wait on the corner for my school bus to arrive every afternoon. I think that's what families are looking for when the move to the suburbs, but later on, it was terrible, as there was no place to go and no way to get there. As an adult I've always lived in cities, but if I think about it, they've all been places where there was also lots of green and space, so I suppose I've been trying to give my kids the best of both worlds. They'll no doubt complain about it later in any event!

Coppa's girl said...

I didn't remember to watch Eurovision last night, but I guessed that Ukraine would win - how could they possibly not?
It looks as though 'The Font' has done her best to cater for your sweet tooth Angus, but will Sophie notice a fall in standard of the main courses? I'd polish off that Tarte aux Framboises in no time - with a little help from my furry companion!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I was very disappointed that France did not fare better in the EV contest, I loved that almost tribal Breton offering. Then I've never understood folks' tastes. I loved the Ukrainian entry from my first hearing of it and -regardless of the sympathy vote - it deserved to do well. The judges placing it in fourth position with their voting proved that. Joe public, who otherwise voted for the circus event from Moldova, and the sex-fest from Spain, at least had this one thing right... YAM xx

Travel said...

Sophie senses that one of the flock is going astray, and is watching most errant one. American suburbs - how not to do many things for many reasons.

50 and counting said...

Interesting frozen cake selection.

I love touring supermarkets when we travel. It's a sneaky view into other peoples lives.

Eurovision really isn't a thing in Canada.