Sunday, May 29, 2022

Super early.

Another five am start to our day. Dog and master saunter contentedly through the onion fields to the waterfall. Our arrival surprises a group of adolescent deer who aren't used to seeing humans - or dogs - up and about so early.


The bakery in the little market town opens up super early on a Sunday. Their croissants are mediocre ( they never seem to fold the dough frequently enough to make it fluffy ) but it's a good place for the PONette to go in the car on a summers morning. 13 degrees when we set off, 18 by the time we head back home. Sophie finds a trip in the car with the windows down, ears flying in the breeze, to be an  exciting part of her daily routine.

We consider a coffee and caramel creation but are put off by its 'solid' appearance.


The bakers wife does her best to get us to buy a strange heart shaped looking thing. It has caramelized apple in the filing. Caramelized apple does nothing for me at this time of the morning.

This morning choice comes down to a Black Forest Gateau or a  Fraisier. We opt for a Fraisier. Sophie gets some surplus apple pie crust. How good is that ?


Sunday morning reading :https://theconversation.com/wild-animals-are-evolving-faster-than-anybody-thought-183633

6 comments:

Virginia said...

Ahhh! I haven't seen Babas au Rhum for many years! When we were fist married we had a Sabbatical in Oxford and they were the height of fashion then ... we're talking 1979 mind you! Just a month or two ago!! I must see if I can look out a recipe for them.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Crikey, those cakes look like they'd double as bathroom tiles... stick with the croissant, I say! YAM xx

WFT Nobby said...

The fraisier was probably a sound choice, although I'd be prepared to risk the coffee and caramel creation after a long bike ride.
Last night's menu looked appealing enough for me to google the restaurant location and wonder about calling in sometime when venturing into the Central Highlands.
I'm dubious about the use of maths in the wild animal evolution article. To say offspring are on average 18'5% 'better' than their parents is almost certainly (and wrongly) imply a precision that the data do not support!
Cheers, Gail.

Liz Hamblyn said...

I read with interest the main course with nettles salsa verde. My husband is an enthusiastic follower of a youtube channel featuring 18C cooking recipes and one of the recipes was nettle soup. I encourage nettles on our property because they are food for the admiral butterfly, however, I am not a great fan of them in my food. However, I did like the Normandie apple and pork (with cider) recipe.

Coppa's girl said...

Surplus apple pie crust - what a good way to start Sophie's day!
Having left the UK many years ago, I find so many of these menus totally pretentious, and the prices ridiculous. I blame all these TV cookery programmes!
Will read the article on wild animal evolution at my leisure.

Travel said...

Up so early, Sophie will need a long mid-morning nap