Saturday, July 8, 2017
Severe acute allergic reaction.
Early this morning we thought we might revert to being a one dog family. However, Sophie is as tough as nails. A series of injections, oxygen and three hours work by a vet and a nurse got her heart working normally. A moment of drama when the hospital staff discovered she still had two bees trapped in the fur on the inside of her back legs. Thank heavens 'The Font' had phoned ahead and been firmly told by the vet on night duty not to give her an antihistamine. Seems they can be fatal on dogs.
We thought we'd seen it all. Poison in chicken 'snacks' put down by hunters, Processional Caterpillars, the big 'C', ticks. This wild bee swarm was by far the scariest. She must have disturbed them in their nest ( in the ground or in a tree ) or when they were returning to their nest as the sun set. The speed with which the symptoms developed counted in minutes - three maybe four at the most.
Interestingly, Bob would not sleep until his sister returned home from the hospital at six. The family diva is currently in a deep sleep which is also where 'The Font' and Angus ( and Bob ) shortly hope to be. Ordinarily the hospital would keep a patient in for a day or two for observation. With Sophie they were of the opinion that '' she'd recover more quickly at home ".