Monday, October 4, 2021

First call.

Sophie has spent the night sleeping inelegantly on her back. The squashed down hair provides the clue. This unusually compressed and  'aerodynamic' look won't last long.


For a while we're the only customers in the greengrocers. It's that strange month long retail lull before everyone goes mad and starts shopping for Christmas.


This morning the greengrocer is big on pumpkins and pineapples. Being a Monday morning most of the other shelves are empty.

There is also a less than enticing display of what Angus would call 'esoterica'.


By the time we get back to The Rickety Old Farmhouse the delivery driver has been. We're his first call of the day. He's put a box of spring bulbs on the terrace behind the downstairs kitchen. At this time of the year the terrace is used to store  garden cushions out of the rain until I get round to bringing them inside for the winter. This morning the black and white C-A-T has found a new and comfortable place to nap. It's sitting contentedly on top of the cushions and the recently delivered box. It never enters Sophies mind that a C-A-T might be hiding in plain sight. She circles the table but never looks up. C-A-T is completely untroubled. Everyone is happy.


In the car this morning Sophie and her master listened to this , windows down, on NRJ : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCEqI6-vPA



17 comments:

Tigger's Mum said...

Loved the music.

WFT Nobby said...

C-A-T is slowly but inexorably inching his way towards becoming a house cat...

Lisa in France said...

I wonder if Gail is right about the C-A-T. We had that happen at my parents' house once, with a black and white cat who lived in the woods behind the house and occasionally showed up in the backyard. And then, when the cat who was currently living in the house passed on, that backyard cat just waltzed in through the backdoor one day and made himself at home. He ended up moving to Florida, where he found that lizards were almost as much fun to chase as mice. I enjoyed the song today - according to my daughter, I am apparently the only living being who is not already familiar with it.

Coppa's girl said...

The feral mama and her two kittens, who've adopted our garden, are wary of Inca who is occasionally inclined to chase them when she thinks I'm not looking. Other times, she's completely oblivious and lies in the shade of the BBQ's overhanging roof and the kittens lie on the counter above her, leaning over keeping a careful watch. I must take a photo of them, but each time I get too near they take fright and disappear into the undergrowth. This week the local "Cat Lady" is, hopefully, coming to take them to the vet for me, to have them neutered and a health check. I'll pay for them all to be done as I don't want to be over-run with felines thinking they've found a cushy billet! Feral cats are a real problem here. I'm happy to have the kittens back in the garden, but not sure about mama since she recently took a swipe at me when I was putting their food down, and narrowly missed gouging my arm.

Travel said...

There are at least two people who have not heard the song before,

WFT Nobby said...

Three.

Fay said...

Four. I was listening to Florent Pagny's latest CD, L'Avenir, when I turned to Geronimo. Quite a difference!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...make that four - but I liked it enough to listen all the way through! YAM xx

Yamini MacLean said...

,,,oops - five - just saw Fay beat me to it!

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Four

Bailey Bob Southern Dog said...

Ooops six

rottrover said...

And another...

rottrover said...

I love that C-A-T is just making herself at home. She knows that her mousing services are needed, and in return she gets to be out of the elements!

Coppa's girl said...

Lost count, but I haven't either!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Back home.
I do hope you got my letter!
xx

Liz Hamblyn said...

Add me to that "I have never heard this song" list, but then again I seem to have lost contact with modern music sometime in the late 1980's.

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I love the CAT, he/she looks like she found a comfy place to spend the afternoon.