Monday, July 25, 2022

Like 1988.


It's cooler than it has been but the late afternoon temperatures are still in the high 30's. This morning as we set off across the parched village green it's a refreshing, but humid, 23. The old mayors attempts to keep the grass alive through frequent watering have failed. By the war memorial we meet Monsieur Bay who has been to the boulangerie for the breakfast baguettes. ' It was hot like this in 1988 but only for two days, not three weeks'.

These super dry conditions are a nightmare for PONs and their owners. Dried seed heads are attracted towards Sophie's coat  like iron filings to a magnet . A full ten minutes has to be spent on the grooming table in an attempt to remove some of them. There's a type of small sharp grass seed that works  its way through the fur and into the skin.  After ten minutes of grooming and ever increasing squirming we agree , by mutual consent, to continue the process later.


After a trip to the bakers for some curly croissant ends and a drink of water Sophie decides that the optimal use of her time is a quick nap at the front door.


 So starts a Monday morning in a small and sleepy village in deepest, deepest France profonde.

7 comments:

Virginia said...

I remember those seedbeds working their way into our Corgi's paws, causing serious damage unless they were removed very promptly. They had a razor-sharp point and were vicious. Checking Taffy's paws was a regular job, aft every walk. Fortunately he enjoyed the attention!
I hope it cools down soon.

WFT Nobby said...

A quick nap by the front door? Excellent use of time Sophie!
Too bad the Old Mayor's watering efforts did not pay off.

Lisa in France said...

Poor Sophie - that sounds very uncomfortable. I hope the weather breaks soon and you get some welcome rain.

Travel said...

Stay cool,

Coppa's girl said...

An all-day restorative nap is on the cards here!
What a waste of water and the Old Mayor's efforts, but never mind, the first autumnal deluge will restore the grass.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm starting my day off in a similar way. I just read a post where someone's dog got one of those dried seeds became imbedded in her dog's nasal passage, and had to have surgery. I've heard of this happening before, and I guess it's something else to worry about, like "we" didn't have enough.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I would find the dry seed head threat very concerning. My dog detests grooming although he might let me hand pick them if I was ever so gentle and pretended I was just giving him a good back and tummy rub.