Saturday, July 30, 2022

More heat coming.


A wonderfully architectural cloud above the sunflower fields this morning as we head out of the gate. I tell Sophie it looks like a 'pain au raisin' but she's oblivious to everything other than a hare that's darting along the lane ahead of her.


Both dog and master are enjoying the cool air. The morning weather forecast has told us to prepare for another heatwave. Our third this year. Starting on Wednesday the mercury will be north of 40 again.


There's a distant growl of thunder rolling down from the mountains. Evidence of the hot air from the Sahara battling the colder air from the Atlantic. I guess we already know who's going to win this next bout. It must be getting on for two months since we last had any rain. This I have to say is unusual as we usually get a shower once a week.


After our morning trip to the bakers ( and a detour to the builders merchant for some paint ) Sophie settles down for a start of day nap . This soon morphs into deep, untroubled sleep. Sophie, like all our PONs, emits a very contented snoring sound when she's in her happy place. From time to time she twitches and her tail wags which tells me she's replaying the bravery of her hare chasing moment. Angus wonders if the hare even knew it was being chased. Sophie's hunting technique remains big on bluster but low on directional acuity. I decide to keep this thought to myself.


This Edinburgh restaurant has Turkish Delight Cheesecake. Something I never knew existed but now so so want to try :https://www.taisteal.co.uk/menu

A lengthy introduction from the radio presenter but then our day gets off to a foot tapping start with this Radio France broadcast :https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/podcasts

Scottish croissants seem to be getting better :https://www.thenewportbakery.com/

9 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

The Newport Bakery sounds worth a trip down the road to the Tay, although I am guessing it is not within range of a daily visit from the (asuming all goes to plan) new home?
Nobby is intrigued by the thought of a snoring PON. He is, so far, a silent sleeper. Perhaps because he has not yet met a hare.

Virginia said...

I didn't get past the Nutella Baked Alaska - definitely NOT something I need to try! Best of luck with your 'clearance' work. It's never fun.

The Life of Riley said...

Great cloud photo. Nutella Baked Alasca... two foods I enjoyed separately 30+ years ago and would love to try together now!

Travel said...

New culinary adventures await.

Coppa's girl said...

Love the second photo.
The proof of the Scottish croissants' improvement will be in the eating. Hopefully you will have a chance to sample them. We await Sophie's judgement!

Stephanie said...

Such serene lovely pictures this morning. Though unable to comment, I’ve been following your recent events on the edge of my seat. I hope that all goes smoothly and am confident that there will be grand adventures ahead. But I must admit that I will dearly miss this lovely French village, whose name I will never know. I will often think of the beautiful old farmhouse (especially the long hallway) and its garland of wisteria, the glorious sunflower fields, the views from the storm drain, the pond and the donkeys, cows and horses, those fine old gentlemen the Old Mayer and the Old Farmer, and so much more. It’s been a grand adventure for me to follow along with you, The Font, Bob and Sophie and I thank you for it.

Gemma's person said...

Ditto what Stephanie says. Enjoy it so much.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte

Charlotte said...

I agree.