Monday, August 5, 2024

Horses in the water

It's been wet and windy overnight. 'The Font' has been up early pruning battered shrubs. The breakfast table a riot of sea holly and going to seed alliums with a few wild things thrown into the mix. After the storm the courtyard is home to scores of acrobatic swallows burning off their pent up energy. The young birds have pristinely bright white and red feathers round their eyes. They are loving life. When they get this frisky it's a sure sign that they're strong enough to start thinking of their long journey back to Africa. By the 15th of the month I'd reckon they'll start on their travels and by the 18th they'll be gone. Meanwhile we'll laugh and marvel at their flying skills. Fearless, they follow alongside as we head off down the track in the Volvo.

Our local strawberry hut has now closed. The farmers two daughters have made a small fortune with their  'cash business'  and have headed off for the summer.  The farmer tells us that his youngest and her boyfriend have flown off to Crete for three weeks while the one who is studying at Oxford is off to meet her boyfriends parents in Baltimore. The farmer thinks that there is nothing in life quite as challenging - or serious -  as meeting the others parents for the first time. He chuckles and says ' it's probably not as uncomfortable as the first parent to parent get together '. We leave him alone as he loads fertilizer onto the back of a tractor. This morning we pick up two punnets of strawberries from the hut on the road out to the air base. Here they take credit cards.


Two horses in the water down by the harbour.


They're joined by two more and a pony.


As we set off home more appear in the car park. Monday morning is clearly peak horse riding time. 


We go to Starbucks this morning. The Italian coffee place has closed for a couple of weeks . Starbucks is full but we manage to get a table outside. A Mercedes rental cars arrives and tries to park in an empty spot outside the supermarket. After a half dozen attempts the driver finally drives off leaving his buddies to order him a skinny latte. " Don't know how anyone manages to park around here " he says by way of farewell.

8 comments:

WFT Nobby said...

Love the photos of the horses on the beach and in the water. Wonderful!

Coppa's girl said...

That's a lovely arrangement and for storm battered flowers, they look remarkably fresh.
Lovly to see the horses and riders in the sea. Such a delightful change from jet skis and paddle boarders.

jabblog said...

I agree with the farmer - parent to parent meetings can be awkward.

Travel said...

I remember the first time both sets of parents met, my law school graduation party, I was a mess. They were fine. They kind of shrugged their shoulders.

Sharon said...

I found the article on aphasia very interesting. I have it and didn't know people could visualize objects with their eyes closed. I just know what the object is from somewhere else. I dream in images and colours. I will do more research. Thanks for the article.

Diaday said...

What a lovely flower arrangement. I can only imagine what a beautiful garden you have.

Lisa in France said...

Yes, thank you for the article on aphasia. Both my husband and my son have this, and like Sharon, they didn't realize it for a long time. My son figured it out when his athletics coaches kept encouraging him to "visualize" when preparing for races - visualize an excellent start off the blocks, visualize victory, etc. He simply wasn't able to call up the images. Than my husband realized he had the same issue when my son described this discovery. And now we know why my husband, who is a gifted cook, only likes cookbooks with lots of beautiful pictures - he can't just read a recipe and imagine how the dish should turn out. My daughter and I both rely on strong visual imaging capabilities, so this all makes for an interesting mix at times. I will have to watch out for when our local sparrows depart, although I will miss them.

rottrover said...

The Font works wonders with storm-damaged flowers. And they're so beautifully different from anything we have here, in So Cal. I used live in Del Mar where there's a fancy racetrack. In the early mornings the horses would get "walked" in the surf as physical therapy for their legs. It was always so beautiful to watch them.