Wednesday, April 20, 2022

A divas burden.


Sophie is asleep when I come downstairs. She snores quietly while I talk to Manhattanites in dark suits about Palestine and Sri Lanka and .. bizarrely .. the Solomon Islands. Ukraine is now baked into our morning conversations although it still seems unreal that people are being murdered and lives upended two hours flying time from here.


Conversations finished Sophie is harnessed up. She sits outside the front door and waits impatiently for me to bring the car up from the barn. The wisteria is now in bloom. The wrens who make it their home flit around Sophie's ears. Flitting wrens are a divas burden. She sighs.


This mornings croissant a lacklustre 5.2/10. The stand in baker has produced something that tastes like a white supermarket loaf and has the consistency to go with it. Sophie, it goes without saying, thinks it warrants at least a 12/10.


6 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Excellent taste - Waiheke is just the place to go for a superb dining experience. A little out of the way for me way down here in Christchurch- but I have friends who returned speaking highly of the island experience..... and I have shared the menu so they can relive their happy days. Funny watching your Wisteria spring into flower as I spent yesterday wrestling with mine to get it pruned before all the leaves drop off - any day now... but lovely long autumn days and warmth for a wee while yet :)

WFT Nobby said...

Sophie always looks so comfortable on her stylish grey bed. Who would be losing sleep over the Solomon Islands when one can be dreaming of a 12/10 croissant end? I'm wondering, when Angus gives the croissant such a low score, do the croissant ends perhaps grow a little in size?
Cheers! Gail.
PS The comment box is now working fine from my MAcBook, but is still black on my (Android) phone.

Coppa's girl said...

That croissant doesn't look too bad, but the proof of the pudding etc....
When you are able to travel freely again (are we ever?) how many of your virtual dining experiences do you plan to visit?
The older a girl gets the more she needs her beauty sleep - Inca too, is currently gently snoring away by my side. No chance of a walk yet - it's pouring with rain - again. Our sunny interlude has deserted us.

Lisa in France said...

I look forward to seeing your wisteria bloom each spring. This year, our little potted tree has also deigned to bloom, so I don't feel quite as jealous as in past years.

Travel said...

I want to join the Diva in sleeping through the madness

Tink said...

That is a very poor croissant!